There are several reasons why people can lose teeth, such as sports-related injuries and dental emergencies. Though missing teeth impact the way your smile looks, it also means bad news for your oral health. There are several ways to replace them, but dental implants are a favorite option for many patients. If you’re considering getting them, you may be wondering: are dental implants safe? Continue reading to learn if this treatment is a safe way to replace missing teeth.
Are Dental Implants Safe?
One of the reasons why people are so interested in dental implants is because they have a 95% success rate. This means that it’s rare for patients to encounter issues while healing. Even so, there are still issues that can develop without proper care, such as cavities. If the decay progresses far enough, this may lead to tooth loss.
Improper oral hygiene can also lead to gum disease. Though gingivitis is easy to treat, advanced gum disease may lead to gum recession, loose teeth, or loss of your implants or remaining pearly whites. Additionally, though rare, there is a small chance that oral surgery can result in allergic reactions, bleeding disorders, or infections.
5 Ways to Care for Your Dental Implants
Dental implant placement is safe for many, but it’s important to make good decisions when it comes to your smile both before and after the procedure. Some ways that you can keep your beam in good condition include:
- Brush your teeth – Be sure to brush in the morning and at night for two minutes each time to get rid of bacteria and food particles.
- Floss your smile – Floss every night to lessen your risk of developing cavities between your teeth. This will also lower your chances of periodontal disease.
- Avoid bad oral habits – Don’t participate in things that can put your implants in jeopardy, such as excessive alcohol consumption, eating too much sugar, smoking, and using your teeth as tools to open packages and bottles.
- Visit your dentist – See your dentist every six months for cleanings and dental checkups.
- Eat a balanced diet – This includes nuts, fish, lean meats, low-fat or fat-free dairy products, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
About the Practice
Based in Portland, Advanced Dental Arts NW is led by Dr. Russ Teasdale, a talented dentist with a passion for what he does. Along with his skilled team, he offers patients an exceptional experience from the moment they enter the office. He can also inform you of what makes dental implants so safe and how you can keep your smile healthy while you recover. To set up an appointment with Dr. Teasdale and his team at Advanced Dental Arts NW or for more information on dental implants, visit their website or call (503) 966-2528.